Open EVERY DAY 10 am Central,
the last tour leaves at 6 pm.
Drive slowly, with caution on Prewitts Knob Road, children may be playing nearby.
Crystal Onyx is one of Kentucky’s premier show caves with spectacular beauty throughout. Our cave, located on Prewitts Knob is a living, growing cave. You will be walking among a vast and diversified array of formations up close throughout the cave on your one hour, one half mile tour. Tour group size is small with a comfortable pace and plenty of stops so you can see all of nature’s wonders, take pictures, relax and enjoy.
Your adventure begins outside with a short walk to one of the many sink holes and caves on our property. You will descend down safe concrete and steel steps into a well lit speleothem rich cave. The meandering trails have recently been renovated with groomed crushed limestone, new steps and handrails. The average temperature in the cave is 58 degrees F or 14.5 C. Crystal Onyx is family owned and operated with a laid back approach and unscripted tours.
Please check out our excellent Google and TripAdvisor reviews. But, don’t be confused, there is another local cave using a similar name. We are Crystal Onyx Cave, established in 1960.
Good to know before you go:
2021 Cave Schedule:
- Open every day – March 1 through October 31st, 10AM – last tour leaves at 6PM Central
- Prices: Adults $16, Children 4 to 12 – $13, 3 and under – Free.
- Tours are approximately one hour, one half mile long.
- We don’t offer reservations. C. O. C. is first come, first served with tours leaving approximately every 35 minutes, longer when we are busy. Groups of 15 or more should call in advance (270)773-3377.
- If you have a reservation at another local establishment please allow yourself a minimum of 2 hours here plus travel time.
- No restrooms – porta-potties only, do your things before you do ours.
- We have two tours that run at our discretion, they are both spectacular. We will try to accommodate requests but you may have a longer wait.
- You may contact us for exclusive/private tours year round. *Terms apply, see notes on the “ABOUT” page.
- Not handicap accessible, approx.120 steps.
- We have RV and Big Rig parking available.
- Name confusion. There are several local caves with similar names: Onyx Cave, Mammoth Onyx Cave, Great Onyx Cave, Crystal Cave… They are all different caves we are CRYSTAL ONYX cave, just two miles East of I-65, exit 53.
- Cash or Credit cards (there is a 3% charge for credit cards). The lowest price one hour formation filled cave tour around.
One of our reviews: Beautiful Close-up Experience!
“This cave blew me away from my very first steps into the dramatic entry way. The walkways and lighting are beautifully done throughout the cave, with amazing features at every turn. Our small group was privileged to have one of the owners as guide. His commentary reflected the joy and pride he has in this special place. I’ve toured several caves, including the nearby bigger one, but none has captured my heart like this one. There’s so much bang for your buck to be enjoyed here!”
DIRECTIONS to CRYSTAL ONYX Cave
We are under the cell towers atop historic Prewitts Knob.
From I-65 take exit 53. Head southeast on KY-90.
Go straight at the lights. DO NOT follow your GPS or AppleMap onto US 31-W.
Follow KY 90 two miles to Prewitts Knob Road.
Turn right at our sign and go up hill 1/4 mile. 425 Prewitts Knob Road, Cave City, KY 42127.
Click on the links below to see what others have to say:
Professional photos courtesy of Matt McClintock.