THE CAVE WILL OPEN ON JUNE 8 UNLESS KENTUCKY RULES CHANGE
Crystal Onyx is one of Kentucky’s premier show caves with spectacular beauty throughout. Our cave, located on Prewitts Knob is a living, growing cave. You will be walking among a vast and diversified array of formations up close throughout the cave on your one hour, one half mile tour. Tour group size is small with a comfortable pace and plenty of stops so you can see all of nature’s wonders, take pictures, relax and enjoy.
Your adventure begins outside with a short walk to one of the many sink holes and caves on our property. You will descend down safe concrete and steel steps into a well lit speleothem rich cave. The meandering trails have recently been renovated with groomed crushed limestone, new steps and handrails. Crystal Onyx is family owned and operated with a laid back approach and unscripted tours.
Please check out our excellent Google and TripAdvisor reviews. But, don’t be confused, there is another local cave using a similar name. We are Crystal Onyx Cave, established in 1960.
Some articles about Crystal Onyx Cave:
Good to know before you go:
2020 Cave Schedule:
- Open every day – June 8th through October 31st, 10AM – 6PM Central Time
- Prices: Adults $15, Children 4 to12 – $13. Cash or Credit cards (there is a 3% charge for credit cards). The lowest price one hour formation filled cave tour around.
- Tours are approximately one hour, one half mile long and depart about every 35 minutes.
- No reservations needed except for larger groups of 12 or more.
- No restrooms – porta-potties only, do your things before you do ours.
- You may contact us for exclusive/private tours year round.
- Not handicap accessible, approx.100 steps
- Off season: call (270) 773-3377 for group tours by appointment only.
- Note: there is another local cave using a similar name. We are CRYSTAL ONYX established 1960. 2 miles east of I-65
One of our reviews: Beautiful Close-up Experience!
“This cave blew me away from my very first steps into the dramatic entry way. The walkways and lighting are beautifully done throughout the cave, with amazing features at every turn. Our small group was privileged to have one of the owners as guide. His commentary reflected the joy and pride he has in this special place. I’ve toured several caves, including the nearby bigger one, but none has captured my heart like this one. There’s so much bang for your buck to be enjoyed here!”
DIRECTIONS to CRYSTAL ONYX Cave
We are under the cell towers atop historic Prewitts Knob. From I-65 take exit 53. Head southeast on KY-90. Go straight at the lights. DO NOT follow your GPS or AppleMap onto US 31-W. Follow KY 90 two miles to Prewitts Knob Road. Turn right at our sign and go up hill 1/4 mile. 425 Prewitts Knob Road, Cave City, KY 42127.
Professional photos courtesy of Matt McClintock.